Director, Environment, Health and Safety
- Paris, ON | Full-time
Supporting all divisions of Aleafia Health, the Environment, Health & Safety Manager (EHS) is responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of Health, Safety & Environmental policies and programs, placing emphasis on protection of employees and the environment in compliance with legislative requirements across Canada.
The successful incumbent will be passionate about creating and maintaining a culture of safety and collaboration.
Due to the multi-site nature of this role, this incumbent will travel to operational sites ( Paris, Grimsby and Port Perry ) on a regular basis and act as the Point of Contact (POC) on all matters relating to environmental healthy and safety as well as provincial legal and regulatory bodies.
- Initiate, promote, implement and maintain safety and health projects and initiatives.
- Drive continuous efficiencies and improvement of safety programs, including policy and procedure creation and maintenance.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of trends and current practices in Health and Safety to dissect data and reconfigure/re-plan approach to course correct to achieve zero safety incidents.
- Ensure training and coaching are completed to drive a safety-perfect culture and to ensure safety and environmental standards and awareness are well understood throughout the plant organization.
- Direct JHSC meetings with employees to administer Health and Safety management programs and receive workers’ concerns and recommendations.
- Establish, maintain and present Health and Safety metric information. This includes providing management with reports on workplace safety insurance incidents and injuries, lost time, and other work-related absenteeism.
- Manage incident investigations to determine cause, ensure corrective action has been implemented, and closure is obtained.
- Update, maintain and present safety orientation and training for all new employees to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviors within the workplace.
- Maintain and present safety orientation meetings and ongoing training for existing employees and visitors as required.
- Ensure compliance meets all legislative requirements.
- Conduct effective hazard analysis for all worksites and offices.
- Ensure Safe Work Procedures are current and complete for all worksites and offices.
- Disability management administration for occupational injury and illness.
- Liaise with provincial WCB / WSIB agencies and insurance providers on all claims, including managing appeals (eg WSIAT) where appropriate.
- Manage return to work programs proactively, working closely with the employee, their supervisors and the insurance organization to ensure the employee's safety and health and protecting the Company's interests.
Experience & Education Requirements
- Post-secondary education in Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or a closely related discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of direct experience in Occupational Health and Safety, preferably in a food, pharma or cannabis manufacturing environment.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation required.
- Experience with Health and Safety Management systems and deployment of Health and Safety programs to a complex organization, interprovincially, with multiple business operations at multiple sites.
- Experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis.
- Understanding of current legislation, Codes of Practice, Bulletins and other safe work practice requirements and recommendations.
- Good working knowledge of GMP environment.
Skills & Abilities
- A high degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues.
- Very strong sense of urgency with proven record of following through to meet deadlines and commitments.
- Energetic, self-motivated, creative and especially positive outlook.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, with competing priorities
- Quick learner and superior attention to detail
- Able to pass an RCMP security clearance
- Superior Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google
- Must be willing to travel to various locations throughout the year.
Note: The chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
We appreciate the interest by all candidates however we will be contacting those that best fit the requirements.
Aleafia Health welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. Aleafia Health will work with you in an effort to ensure that you are able to fully participate in the process.